Macadamia Baklava (MacLava)
So Nicky dubbed my Macadamia Walnut Baklava as the “MacLava”…
5 cups of walnuts (fine to medium chopped)
2.5 cups of macadamias (medium chopped)
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp ground mixed spice
12 sheets of filo pastry
100g melted butter
1 tbsp olive oil
syrup – 1.5 cups sugar, 7 whole cloves, 1 tbsp rose water, 1.5 cups water
1. preheat oven to 180degrees.
2. combine all the nuts, sugar and spices in a bowl. stir well.
3. divide mixture into 3 portions.
4. place filo pastry into baking tray. brush with melted butter and do 3 layers.
5. place 1 portion of nuts onto 3rd filo layer.
6. repeat step 4. and 5. until you reach 3 layers of nuts and 4 layers of filo.
7. brush the top of the pastry with the remaining butter and oil mixture.
8. score the slice evenly into 5 lengthways, but not cut through to the base, also cut diagonally to make diamond shapes.
9. bake for 30 minutes or until golden and crisp.
10. combine ingredients for syrup over low heat and let it thicken up (simmer for 10 minutes once all the sugar dissolved). allow to cool.
11. remove try from oven and pour the cooled syrup over hot slice. let it sit for about 10-20 minutes for slice to soak up the syrup.